Friday, January 14, 2011

Bloomsbury Walk

I did my very first "London walk" today and it was oh so fabulous. Not only was it my first walk, but I was the leader. And not only did I lead this walk perfectly, I lead it perfectly backwards. By backwards I mean we started at the finish and finished at the start. Impressive? I'm aware.
Me (in Pied Bull Yard) just leading the walk.
 This area of London is gorgeous and so easy to navigate, our walk took us in a circle. We started at Tottenham Court Road Station and walked to the British Museum...where we stopped for a couple of hours. Then we hit the streets of London again and went through a few cute alley ways along the way (cutest being Pied Bull Yard). We stopped at St. George Church where I read to Lyse about the "Climbing boys" and how they were fed 100 of them Christmas dinners. We then passed through Queen Square and passed the Hospital of sick children, where I proceeded to to tell Lyse that it was the first hospital for children in London, and was founded in 1852.  We then continued on our walk admiring the architecture of London and having pleasant conversation.
My student Lyse, and I at Mecklenburgh Square.
We walked around Mecklenburgh Square and through St George's Gardens where we came across a few headstones, apparently people were buried there. We then walked passed Russell Station to Russel Square Gardens where we stopped for afternoon tea at the Russell Square cafe (it was very British of us).
Us drinking tea in Russell Square.
We happily strolled through the rest of the Square and passed by the University of London, before returning to Tottenham Court Road Station. It was an enjoyable walk, and I would even go on that very walk again, it didn't take too much time and we were enjoying the London life.

1 comment:

  1. Great post and photos, Heather! You and Lyse look very British sipping a cuppa in a cafe. I am impressed that you were able to lead the tour backward---I hope Lyse didn't prove to be a difficult pupil.

    ReplyDelete